It’s hard finding earbuds that don't break, isn’t it?
To be honest:
I’ve used over 25+ earbuds…
…and the reason for buying a new earbud was because the old one broke.
If your story is something similar and looking for the most durable earbuds within your budget then this article is for you.
Before we get into the list of Top 5 Best Durable Earbuds:
Let’s first get to know the reasons…
…why Earbuds break!
- Using them carelessly
- Keeping them in pocket with other small and big stuff
- Stuffing them irresponsibly in your backpack
- Tangling of cables
- Breaking of earpieces either falling on ground or sitting or stepping on them
Sincerely speaking, earbuds are Godly creation that allows listening music without carrying bulk that headphones offer.
Moreover they’re easy to carry and can be stored anywhere, right into your pocket as well.
The story doesn’t end there, since they’re lightweight; they’re prone to break easily leaving them useless and non repairable as well.
Hence why I’ve hand-made this list of nearly unbreakable in ear headphones that will not only last you a lifetime but also offer great sound quality at affordable price point.
Now let's move on to our list of almost indestructible earbuds
The Most Durable Earbuds That Don't Break In 2019
#5: Sony MDRXB50AP
Sony MDRXB50AP is one of the cheap flat corded earbuds in our list of most durable earbuds under $50.
While making this list, I had kept in mind to include only those earbuds that come with either metal or aluminum body, however I made an exception for the Sony MDRXB50AP earbuds as it is built like a tank; even with plastic construction.
Though not a looker (compared to other earbuds included in our list of strong earbuds) but it does scores on functionality and ease-of-use.
- Enjoy Bluetooth wireless connectivity with NFC one-touch pairing. Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Listen longer with 8.5 hours of playback
- Built-in microphone for hands-free calls. Frequency Response : 4 Hz-24000 Hz
- Splash-proof design that's ready for rain or sweat
- Wrap-around headband for free movement
Available in Black, Red and Blue color, the earbud has an unusual angled eartip design with a bass duct for strong low-frequency response.
To be honest, these earbuds are meant for bassheads and hence why mids and highs sound recessed.
They accentuate bass in every song that you listen to, this can sometimes get irritating if you primarily listen to Rock or Alternative Genre songs.
It has a big 12mm driver inside that is capable of loud sound and heavy bass. A larger driver allows the earbuds to push out wider frequencies.
You get a no-frills inline microphone, which offers only Play/Pause and Call Receive/End functionality.
I personally love the fact that you can keep these earbuds in whatever way you want and still they won’t get damaged. These heavy duty earbuds win by a larger margin when it comes to built quality compared with other plastic-made earbuds in similar price category.
Sony MDRXB50AP happens to be the most sturdy headphones made up of plastic in the affordable audio segment.
"If your main motto is to listen Electronic, Hip Hop & Rap songs, and are careless regarding your earbuds while happen to be on budget, trust me Sony MDRXB50AP won’t disappoint."
#4: Fiio EX1
And guess what? The brand hasn’t gone wrong and the earbud has made its mark just after its launch.
- Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm Drivers, delivering even power response across all frequencies
- CNC milled non-resonant full metal body construction, with anodized duralumin for the back half, and stainless steel for the front half.
- Ergonomic offset nozzle design, with small rounded on-ear driver housing and shallow in-ear nozzles, ensuring long term wearing comfort.
- High purity OFC copper, intertwined with 250D Kevlar fiber strands, ensuring superior sonics as well as great strain resistance and longevity.
One thing I’d like to mention is, the Fiio EX1 is a custom version of Dunu Titan 1 and hence why Fiio has preserved the Dunu branding on its earpiece.
Since they’re built with a full body metal construction and Kevlar reinforced cable; makes them the Best Durable In Ear Headphones under budget.
The earpiece is made up of anodized duralumin at the back and stainless steel construction at the front, with high purity OFC copper intertwined with 250D Kevlar fiber strands.
Such kind of built quality ensures a super long life and resistance from everyday’s wear-and-tear.
However one complain I had with the Fiio EX1 is it doesn’t stand out when it comes to design nor does its looks feel desirable, but that’s my personal opinion after all.
Coming to the sound quality, most reviewers out there claim it to be the best earbud under $100 price range as it has an almost hi-res sound that can beat competitors double or triple its price thanks to its 13mm driver.
However I felt the highs to be harsh at times and slightly recessed mids, though nothing extreme that can put off its value-for-money price tag and performs majorly better than earbuds in similar price range.
Though the packing doesn’t even stands up to a Soundmagic ES18, but the content inside make up for it; as it includes 9 eartips of different size and material, a hard carrying case (I liked it very much) and a shirt clip as well.
“Since audio listening is a personal choice and differs from one person to another, there’s high chance that you may like the Fiio EX1 more than me and since the article is about the most durable earbuds that don't break, and Fiio EX1 scores 10/10 in that department.”
- Three drivers- These headphones have two balanced armatures and a separate dynamic driver. Together they deliver an extremely accurate listening experience with unsurpassed dynamic power and clarity from deep bass to sizzling highs.
- Tuned By A Grammy Award Winning Sound Engineer- 1MORE collaborated with internationally acclaimed producer, mixer, and sound Engineer Luca Bernard to perfect the final Tuning to deliver a precise representation of your favorite artist's intended sound.
- Comfortable ergonomic design- the OBLIQUE angled ear fittings naturally match your ear canals. 9 sets of included ear tip sizes ensure a proper fit for all. They're more comfortable and less likely to fall out, freeing you to enjoy your music.
- Intelligent control technology- in-line remote control is conveniently located allowing you to effortlessly control volume, select songs, and take calls. Superior mems Microphone has independently set ground wires to eliminate cross-talk and background static.
- Contents - Triple Driver In-Ear headphones, 6 sets of silicone ear tips, 3 sets of foam ear tips, magnetic clasping traveling case, attractive storage case, quality dual prong airline adapter, matching shirt clip.
It’s highly durable due to its:
- Aluminum finish body and Kevlar reinforced cable
- Sleek and Stylish looking design
- Triple Drivers in such a small compartment
- Modest pricing under $100
Though the styling resembles to some of Sony angled earbuds, however other than the design, they’re nothing like Sony Earbuds.
One of the better things that this IEM hosts is that its inline 3-button microphone is compatible with iOS and Android Smartphones, giving it an edge compared to other earbuds in our list.
To make the deal sweeter, the brand has included ton of accessories in its package.
1More Triple Driver box contains, 6 silicone eartips along with 3 foam eartips of various sizes, a magnetic-clasp leather carrying pouch, aluminum finish shirt clip and an airline adapter.
The unboxing experience is premium as well, giving you feel of getting hold of an earbud costing next to $200-$300.
Coming to the technicalities, each earpiece holds two balanced armature drivers as well as a single dynamic driver with impedance listed at 32 Ohms. However the exact size of drivers is not mentioned by the company.
Just as the brand mentions, the sound quality of 1More Triple Driver is crisp, detailed and offers justice to lows, mids and highs.
There’s plenty of bass as well as a strong and tight mid-range supported by a detailed and warm highs.
It’s definitely a boon for audio enthusiasts who don’t want to put too much cash into getting a high-value earbud at decent price.
One thing I do want to mention is that these earbuds; due to its shape and size aren’t an ideal earbuds if you plan to take them during intensive workout routine or running.
"This is why these earbuds are my personal favorite even though they don’t come from an household brand or promoted by a famous celebrity."
#2: VModa Zn
To build the best durable IEMs, where most manufacturers go with an aluminum or stainless steel construction, VModa has gone a step further and built their ‘Zn’ in ear headphones using Zinc alloy with its patented process.
- Newly developed, outstanding dynamic 8mm driver boosts tonal accuracy with very low distortion, all "hand-tuned" to complement the human hearing limit variance (+/- 2dB)
- Precision zinc alloy metal housing, casted by a patented process, allows for a unique design and microscopic precision necessary to deliver stress free, consistent acoustic quality
- Patented Active Flex sport ear hooks for best stability and fit no matter what duty calls make Zn the perfect companions for the mobile, modern audiophile
- Built-in 3-Button Remote Mic specially tuned for phone calls and voice recognition, universally compatible with all smartphones, tablets, new laptops and optimized for Android devices
- Tangle-free Diamondback cable is the perfect match between style and extreme durability being 20x stronger than industry standard
VModa though has very few audio products under its belt, however it has become a household name in the premium audio segment, and VModa Zn is no exception to that name either.
It hold #1 position as the best earbuds under $200 in our list featured here.
Though it comes with a fairly hippie and outcast kind of design, the VModa Zn is a durable in ear headphones that isn’t cheap but fairly gets the job done.
Just like the earbuds themselves, the package is of high quality as well, since you’re spending close to $200 on a single earbud, you do expect to get a premium unboxing experience as well and VModa Zn package offers just that.
Out of the box, the package includes the VModa Zn earbuds themselves along with 3 set of black colored silicone eartips, turning the package around, there’s a small compartment behind it that has the magnetic-latch leather carrying pouch.
The earbuds comes with two versions: one with a 3 button microphone for iOS, whereas the other one with a single button inline mic for Android smartphone.
The leather pouch includes further accessories like: 4 extra transparent silicone eartips, a shirt clip and snap-on flexible ear hooks that enables you to wear the Zn from behind your ears as well during intensive workout and active sessions.
Though the brand claims these earbuds to be of audiophile grade i.e. having neutral sound and flat response, the Zn does give slight emphasis to the lower frequencies (bass) that does make the listening quite enjoyable for such a good durable earbuds.
"To conclude, the VModa Zn ticks all the right boxes, with a plausible design. strong built quality, great sound and a rcok-solid cable to cap it off."
#1: RHA T10i
When it comes to building the indestructible earbuds, RHA has been a top-notch name with all its earbuds coming with a metal construction or high quality plastics.
- Frequency response - 16 - 40,000Hz
RHA T10i is no exception either to the brand name and one of the best built earbuds you can find right now.
We've also featured it as an excellent choice for drummers.
There’s no question that RHA T10i are the most sturdy in ear headphones in our list, however one thing that does stand out is that these earbuds are made of metal injection-moulded stainless steel material giving them a tank-like build quality and makes them look beautiful as well.
Well aren’t just the earpieces build to last, the high strength design carries along with the cable, with the inline microphone and reaches to the 3.5mm jack as well, making them the best durable earbuds that can last a lifetime.
Another stand out feature that these earbuds hosts is that it comes with interchangeable acoustic filters.
This means, the T10i package comes with three different filters called: Bass, Treble and Neutral, and its sound signature changes as you change the filters.
A feature like this allows you have complete control over the kind of sound you get. The bass filter is great for bass heads that listen to songs from genres like Pop, Hip Hop, Rap and so on.
The treble filters puts emphasis on genres like rock, acoustic, heavy metals and so on, while the Neutral filter offers a flat frequency response.
What’s more interesting is its package!
Let’s see what’s inside the box: Shall we?
It comes in a nice package that contains 10 eartips of different shape, size and material, along with a nice premium earbud storing wallet and the three acoustic filters.